Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Can’t Drink That Shit. Yup, I'm a Liquor Snob.

I remember the days when I would drink just about anything with alcohol content. You could have dropped a shot of Listerine in a cup of tea called it hot totty, and I would have been on it. I used to run to the liquor store to get the local wino to cop me all types of bullshit like MD 20/20, E&J, and Paul Mason (a half gallon of Paul Mason was like 17 bucks; you can’t beat that). I used to get ripped every Friday, and wake up considering suicide every Saturday. It seemed like I had cousin Earl on speed dial because before the sun came back up again, I was sure to give him a call or two and sometimes three.

I got off my cheap nigga shit and stopped drinking that gut-rot, hangover-making liquor. I upgraded to drinking the shit rappers kept talking about. If it was in a video, an ad in XXL, or plugged into Jay-Z’s latest verse, I was going to make my way to the liquor store to cop a bottle or two. I mean they are rappers and they are rich… why wouldn’t they drink the best then talk about it? Yeah, the emergence of Nuvo on the Hip Hop scene and my first (and last) glass of Christal champagne changed that entire outlook.

Around 2006, I started coming into actually appreciating the taste of alcohol. I was no longer exclusively chasing a buzz. I put down the Absolut’s, Remy Martin’s, Grand Crue’s, and flavored malt liquors (cheers to you 4 Loko drinkers of the world *holds glass of “Rose’ Moet” in the air*). I looked pass labels and price, and started looking for taste, smoothness, and mix-ability. I also started chopping it up with bartenders, getting their take on alcohol, before I walked into the liquor store to drop my hard-earned cash on it.

Here I am 5 years later, and I’m drinking the best (at least in my opinion… I’m Jean DeGrate so really my opinion is the only one that matters). I’ve pushed aside the Patron’s of the world to drink the 1800’s and Don Julio’s. I’ve stocked my bar with Ketel One, XO cognacs, and Corzo tequila’s… not because Diddy had the bottle of it in a video. (Even though I got 3 half gallons of CIroc on my kitchen counter, unopened. Why? Cause I don’t like the shit, BUT the bottle adds to the ambiance of my bar, and bitches love Ciroc. But, if I’m drinking flavored vodka, Grey Goose Citron is what’s in my cup.) So I challenge you all to go against the grain, search out the best liquors for you (even if some of you dudes just end up drinking Moscato as your drink of choice)… Ok that’s gay, but what I’m saying is… DO YOU!

Tonight, I’m drinking Remy XO straight. What about you?
Jean DeGrate has spoken

1 comment: