Monday, January 23, 2012

So Ya’ll Still Stuck on that Color Shit?

First off let me say I love black. Today I have on a black button-up, black shoes, a black coat and a black scarf. I would have worn a black winter skully but when I do I look like the long lost member of Das Effects so I opted for gray. Besides clothing I love other things black. Black women; I love them so much so I shun these light skin chicks. Redbones need not apply here. Black electronics; we talking all black everything, flat screens, Bluray players and PS3. Yeah that pretty much wraps up the full extent of my black love. Insert one of the principals of Kwanzaa here (I don’t know any and I’m too lazy to Google it).
 
A lot of folks love black because they are black
How many of ya’ll voted for Obama because he goes to a barber shop where they use clippers instead of scissors? Be honest with yourselves. Tomorrow night is the “State of the Union” address, Twitter and FaceBook will go crazy with shit like “Watching my president”. True Obama is your president but so was Bush and Clinton but black people never claimed them, they were always referred to as “the president”. Coons done fell in love with politics because a black man is in office; will the love affair end if Newt Gingrich is president in January? I’m betting it will; most coons can’t name the 3 branches of government. By the way I voted for Obama because I thought he would make a better president than John McCain not because he gets shape-ups or is partial to fried chicken.
 
Now on to Red Tails
When I go to my local Cineplex to see a movie on the big screen it’s based on 3 determining factors…
A. The trailer was fucking awesome.
B. I like the starring actors or the director
C. One or more of my homies whose taste in film I respect has recommended that I see it. I.e. If Fatz calls me tomorrow and tells me that “Red Tails” is worth the price of admission and some nachos; you better believe I’ll be at a theatre in the near future cheering Cuba Gooding Jr. on. Unfortunately I haven’t heard shit like that; actually I haven’t heard anybody say it was a good movie period. Now I have heard is a lot of “We need to support this film because Hollywood doesn’t like to make black movies” and “Go see something positive about black folks instead of another Tyler Perry flick”. Yeah none of that motivates me. I don’t support movies because its “black” sorry but that doesn’t move me. I go to the movies because I want to be entertained. Isn’t that kind of the point of going to the movies?
 
Where’s the pay off?
I mean besides some silly badge on Foursquare or being ousted as the mayor of coon flicks, what’s really in it for me? They aren’t even giving me A-list black casting. George Lucas couldn’t get Denzel and Don Cheadle on the phone? Seeing Neyo and the nigga that played “Miles” on Moesha flying planes and shit holds no thrills for me. It’s not even a true story so it’s not like I’m getting any historic fulfillment out it.  Oh, yeah it’s the satisfaction of supporting a black film. I’ll pass on that.
 
Don’t encourage it
When you support bad shit people just make more bad shit. I wouldn’t eat at a restaurant with subpar food just because a black person owned it. I wouldn’t buy poorly made clothes just because somebody of my skin tone was working the sewing machine. You go out and PAY to see these ain’t shit movies because black people are in them. You look past the quality of the film and just put your dollars up on shit that’s just ok but in most cases flat out horrible. You’re not encouraging them to do better. The message you’re sending is “if you want money from the black community put a few black faces on the poster and we’ll give you 10 million plus the opening weekend shit toss in a message or some sort nostalgia we’ll give you 10 million more”.
 
No movie staring Terrence Howard will ever be good again
Jean DeGrate will catch Red Tails on cable for free

1 comment: