Monday, February 5, 2018

7 Shows I’d Rather See a Reboot of Instead of Martin

Now let me say this first... if you didn't already know I'm a TV snob. I've been putting people on to dope TV since cable boxes had an A and B side. I legitimately wasted my 20's out in the clubs and chasing women when I could have been at home watching TV. You see where I'm coming from? Cool.

I’ve never been a super fan of Martin, but I chalked it up the fact that this show started when I was 12 years old and maybe the humor was too advance for my young mind to grasp.  Lucky for me Martin reruns went into super syndication in my 20’s and I was given the chance to see every single fucking episode at least 11 times during the course of the last 15 years.  Yep… Still not a great show; Martin isn’t in my top 5 shows starring a stand up comedian, featuring a black couple living in Detroit during the 90’s on network television.  You can call me a hater and I know my opinion on this is hugely unpopular, but the people that think Martin is the greatest show ever are the same people that think Power is a better show than The Wire. Anyway… on with the list.

1. Married with Children
Married with Children was an all-around great show. Sure 98% of Al Bundy’s antics wouldn’t fly in today’s super politically correct world but I’d love to see it retool for this era of social media. Bring back the Bundy’s. Kelly Bundy om Snapchat would be extra lit.

2. The Jamie Foxx Show
Of course not the Jamie Foxx Show as in starring Jamie Foxx but a sitcom set in a black owned hotel would be lit. Plus the Jamie Foxx is and was WAAAAAAAAAY funnier than Martin.

3. The Steve Harvey Show
I can’t stand Steve Harvey. I didn’t even like him when the show was on the air but the supporting cast was dope and the premise was great. I hated everything about Harvey though. His mustache, suits and that dumb ass hi-top fade. With all that said, I will totally take a washed up pseudo celebrity singer turned high school music teacher.

4. Girlfriends
Tracee Ellis Ross and company were ahead of their time with a sitcom focused on single professional women not named Sex in the City. I mean they squeezed 6 seasons, 94 episodes and 2 feature length movies out of Carrie Bradshaw on HBO (it’s only 67 episodes of Game of Thrones.)  Reboot Girlfriends on a network with a budget to hire actually writers and a half way decent cast and it would be golden (pun intended). Side-note: Sex in the City aged terribly. Makes you want to throw something at your TV it’s so bad in retrospect.

5. The Chappelle Show
Because it’s the phcking Chappelle Show and we need Dave Chappelle on TV way more than we ever needed Martin calling Pam beady bead or fighting giant rats on vacation.

6. Smallville
Way before Gotham was popping on Fox; Smallville was killing it on the CW. They are slanging superhero shows like fliers after the club. It’s like 10 of them on primetime network TV so why not bring back young Clark Kent?

7. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
First off who doesn’t love a sudden “rags to riches” story? Terrorists; that’s who.  Are you a terrorist? Oh ok then. The Fresh was such a great show that they swapped out dark skin Aunt Viv and we ain’t even care. You think they could have swapped out Gina’s apple headed ass without major backlash?  No, they couldn’t; because if they could they would have swapped her out instead of filming with her or Martin offset. Ok aside from that Jeffery’s shade was legendary. Imagine the hype beast fashion they stick the rebooted Will in. Supreme, Yeezy, Balmain, Gucci, Moncler, Off-White? It would be crazy. Not to mention the Carlton dance is forever a classic and permanent staple in urban culture. Unfortunately the perfect guy to play Uncle Phil 2.0 is Anthony Anderson and he’s already on a dope show.

Somebody get Leslie Moonves on the phone
JD got some show rebooting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment