Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm Grown So...

I've reached the legal age for drinking, smoking and voting but being grown is so much more than that. None of that relationship settle down bullshit or that accumulation of wealth foolishness either. Sir Isaac Newton lived and died without ever getting the pussy and must people die poor so it can't be about money. I'm talking about the things you start to appreciate or flat out hate once you reach a certain level of maturity. I came to this moment of realization last week when I got a random "What ya doing?" text at 11:42pm on a Tuesday. No, I wasn't sleeping; to be perfectly honest I was drinking Don Julio and Simply Lemonade watching "Sons of Anarchy". I still found it alarmingly disturbing that an adult would reach out to another adult they aren't even fucking just to chit chat and shit. Nah B I'm not having it which brings me to my first point of maturity...

Don't call me and don't text me off the late night
I'm a grown ass man. I work 40 plus hours a week and I'm raising a daughter on the side. Fuck I look like entertaining another grown up when I got to go to work in the morning. Sunday through Thursday past the hour of 11pm I'm only taking calls in reference to my child and emergencies that directly affect me or I can be of some sort of assistance in. You want to shoot the breeze call somebody without shit better to do.

I'm not waiting in line to give my money away
If I got to do something other than walk into a shoe store ask for my size then pay for it at the register I won't be able to buy those shoes. I can't get up early in the morning then wait in line for a chance to spend money on over priced shoes made in Taiwan (because it's no guarantee it won't be sold out by the time I get to the front of the line). I also can't stand in line at the club. Fuck that, I can't let this washed up high school football player dressed in all black have that much control over me. Not just so I can hang out in a hot nightclub avoiding people stepping on my shoes and buy overpriced liquor.

I'm passing on these fads
Niggas wearing jean jackets with the sleeves cut off? Snap back hats are back? Facial tattoos are the way to go now? Asides from all the money I've blown on these fly by night trends (remember Von Dutch and throwback jerseys) I've seriously out grown all the coming and going trends. I get excited by a nice new pair of pants but these new niggas are going ape shit over whatever Rick Ross is signing off on. I'm clearly not about that gaudy gold chain and leopard print clothing life.

I'm not trying to impress anybody
Like seriously though, I don't chase pussy and I'm not seeking employment so I don't have anybody to make an impact on. I get no fulfillment from "likes" on FaceBook. I'm not even on Instagram because I don't take pictures of my meals, clothes or myself. I wear Louie; I wear Gucci at the same damn time, but I also wear Levi's and Target T-shirts. Right at this exact moment my dreds need to be twisted, I can stand to shave and no fucks are given.

I'm getting older so a lot of shit is getting played out
Jean DeGrate has spoken


3 comments:

  1. Spoken like a true adult. Too bad too many more can't join our club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my good friends are security gaurds! Lol!

    ReplyDelete