Friday, April 27, 2012

Living at Home

Somehow living with your parents got a bad reputation. I don’t know how, and I don’t know when exactly, but being 25 and still turning keys at your mom’s house is such a no-no. Fuck that. You know what? Fuck that two times. I remember watching Good Times as a kid and JJ was a grown man the whole damn time; then Thelma and Michael grew up and stayed under that same roof. Come to think of it the one kid that ever moved out (or got written off the show, I can’t remember for sure) was Penny. Nobody was judging JJ and crew for not moving out of Florida Evan’s apartment.   
 
Fuck that judgment  
People seem to always look down on people still staying with their parents after a certain age. Those people tend to be women looking down on men. If you care about any judgment that women who you aren’t fucking you have about how you’re living, you’re a fool. Women won’t date men that live at home. Bullshit. Women won’t date men with roommates. Bullshit. Women won’t date men that don’t drive. Bullshit. You could be living in a lavish spot without any roommates, driving a BMW, and if you’re a lame your pussy appeal won’t improve any. Take it from the guy that used to fuck fine women on air mattresses while living in the trap.
 
I didn’t move out of my mother’s house
I lived with my mother until I was about 23; she got engaged and moved the fuck out. By the time she left home I was ready for the world though; I was 2 years into the job I’m at now. I was comfortable paying bills, and I was no longer blowing my cash on stupid shit and living check to check. I had no credit cards and the only debt I had was the car note I was paying on my luxury automobile. Yeah, I was clearing 40k a year driving an Acura, and living in a 3 bedroom duplex by my motherfucking self. I was winning.

Staying with my mom set me up for financial freedom
Unlike some of my peers that graduated from high school, got a job working at Footlocker, and decided it was time to break free from the tyranny of their parents, I kept my ass home. Having your own spot at 18 or 19 made you the man even if you lived in the trap, had milk crates as living room furniture, and drove a 81 Dodge Omni. Even if you didn’t go with the sitting Indian style for the 1st year in your new place route, you probably went the Rent-A-Center/finance everything route and spent the next 5 years paying off 8000 in debt for a living room set that only cost 1300 bucks. Instead of having the burden of trying to support my own household, I paid the phone and cable bill. I got a chance to stack my cash and if I did something immature and fucked my money up, I didn’t have to worry about an eviction notice sitting on my door or sitting in the dark because Pepco ain’t playing with me.

The need to be in your own 
Unless your parents set your curfew at 7p I don’t see the need to rush out of the house. You been there 18 years so far, 2 or 3 more won’t hurt you. Mom won’t let you have company? Suck that shit up; you still won’t have company if you have to move into the heart of the ghetto with junkies smoking crack in the hallways or work 2 jobs to afford the rent in a decent neighborhood. Besides financial maturity most people aren’t mentally ready for that type of freedom. People move out on their own and become Tom Hanks from “Big”. They got every game for Xbox and PS3, a TV, a Tupac poster and a futon. Look in the linen closet… one towel, then look in the kitchen cabinets… all Dixie cups and paper plates. I know a handful of people that are 30 plus that still need a mom to clean up after them. They got three month old carry-out still sitting in the fridge and laundry piled up to the ceiling in the corner of their bedroom. Being “grown” goes far beyond having an apartment lease in your name.

Stay at home for as long as need be
Jean DeGrate says independence is overrated

2 comments:

  1. Is so taboo to be living at home after college but its not taboo to be living on your own and struggle check to check. Its one thing to be working to move out on your own and its another thing to be buidling a life in the same room you've had since you were 11. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete