Thursday, May 29, 2014

So about last night…

*There is no funny in this blog so if you’re looking for jokes please go to the previous blog*

This isn't my lane so I didn't want to write this shit. After all my child is fine, but it was still sitting heavy on my heart when I woke up this morning. I had to say something and get it off my chest.

It was about 12:30am last night. I was fresh off hitting the jump rope to close out my workout. Kwesi and I had just begun our routine post workout conversation about random shit. Along comes this lady strolling down Southern avenue carrying a little girl that might have been somewhere between the ages of 2-4 . The woman herself appeared to about 35, but these days you can’t really tell because black does crack now. Her dress and demeanor reflected a much younger women; I mean she did have them J’s on. As she got within earshot of us she asked did either one of us have a phone she could use because her phone had died. I cleared the Tabata timer and shifted to the phone key pad then handed her my phone. My normal ain’t shit attitude was put aside by the sight of a toddler being paraded around after midnight. The normal scumbag in me would have told her “keep it pushing” without that child draped over her shoulder. In the midst of trying to remember the number she wanted to dial I asked her where she was headed. She replies “I've got a friend that lives somewhere around here” as if she had never been there before “I was on the phone with him when my phone died.” She pulled her iPhone from her pocket and attempted to power it on to no avail. She dialed a number and spoke briefly with a person that I could only assume was not “the friend”. She handed my phone back and said “I can’t get back in touch with him I’m just going to get back on the bus and head home”. Strolled back up the block from the direction she had come, whilst struggling to hold the toddler that seemed to be getting heavier by the second.

I resumed my conversation with Kwesi and mid-sentence it hit me, I was overcome with rage and sadness at the same time, she was out here trying to get some dick. She took her child out of her bed in the dead of night by the way of Metro to go a fuck a guy she didn't even know the exact address. In my head I could see the vicious circle that her child would be tossed into. I can’t predict the future of the little girl but I know the odds and I’m secure enough in my knowledge to put a wager on the outcome. She would undoubtedly inherit these traits from her mom so when she started dealing with men this type of behavior would be deemed acceptable. Then I felt powerless. It was nothing I could do for this little girl. I couldn't show her the light and steer her away from the path of her mom.

Yeah that’s it.

Ladies raise your daughters by not only telling them to do right but showing them to do right by your actions. They are watching and learning from you. You’re her role model even if you don’t know it, and even if she doesn't act like it at times.

Jean DeGrate is still saddened

2 comments:

  1. The common denominator of the equation is no father present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read and very true what J.Robert wrote. The absence of an active father in the lives of our children has a devastating impact. The mother can only do so much and rest assured that lady didn't have a father either. I volunteer at a group home with teenage girls and it's heartbreaking to see the sadness in their eyes because neigther of their parents are present to protect them. As a result they are angry, have become addicted to various drugs and many other things. Thanks for sharing and thanks for taking such good care of my baby cousin. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete